Thursday, October 8, 2009

October 8, 2009
Yesterday I went on a long journey to Tala to visit my 14 year old sponsored child, Dancan. It felt like a National Geographic adventure. The Christian Childrens Fund picked me up at our resort, as they call it and I was off to an adveture of a life time! I was gone a total of 10 and a half hours. First I visited the Kenya office and had tea with the head official and then it was off to the mail room to see all the sponsors letters being placed in envelopes and sent. Next I visted the Tala office and was warmly greeted by Dancans family in song and dance. It was a welcome I shall never forget. As a matter of fact I may need a tissue now just thinking about it.
We made our way to Dancans school to meet him and his younger brother, \kennedy. The drive was about a half an hour through what I would call cow paths at best in the middle of nowhere. Their school was just a humble limestone block building without electricity. I first visited a special needs class. They were playing with soda bottle caps and some old blocks. That is all I saw for toys. They were very happy to see me and I hugged each and everyone of them.
I spent time with the principle and the teachers. They told me the children usually walk about an hour or more to the school. It starts at 8am and ends at 5pm. The children of the states do not know how lucky they are.
The time had arrived for meeting Dancan. I was brought to his room and was asked to pick him out from about 30 children. Oh Lord help me! I had only little pictures of him and all these children looked younger than I thought. Over in the corner was one boy with a smirk on his face so I picked him. Well, the room exploded with laughter and singing. I had chosen correctly praise God. Dancan was in good health, good looking, beautiful teeth (dental hygienists look at those types of things) and the biggest smile I probably have ever seen.
I had brought my goat puppet and shaggy sheepdog puppet and the group of us all went to the various classes. There was sooooo much laughter by the children, all of us and the teachers. We just had the greatest time. Dancan even started to use the goat puppet and was great at it. He was beaming from ear to ear. I could go on and on about my visit but if you want to know more I guess you will just have to talk to me!
Today we had our last VBS. We went over the lesson of Jesus birth that we did a few days ago and talked about Christmas here. Of course we had to talk about New England winters that Pastor Ron loves so much. I showed them pictures of snow and brought Insta Snow for the children to see and touch. We also did a gospel illusion about feeding of the 5000. Ask about the chicken song when you see us.
I have to get off now but I want you all to know that we passed out all of your presents, took lots of pictures and now the children now have new shoes!!!
Blessings from Kenya,
Melissa Roth

4 comments:

  1. You guys are wonderful. We continue to hold you in prayer and feel blessed to hear from you each day.

    - Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ... it has taken me all this time to figure out HOW to send a simple message to you guys. If I'm not careful you will be home before you get this!

    It seems light years ago since we all stood in that circle and we asked God to bless you and use you in Kenya. He has/is obviously answering our prayers above and beyond all we asked or thought possible! Isn't that like our mighty God. I am so delighted that you are being used in such a variety of ways and can't wait to hear your stories when you come home.

    Remember that as you walk the strange and unusal dusty paths of Kenya you are leaving behind the footprints of 'CrossWay in Kenya'. Making an eternal impression in the hearts and minds of all you meet - footprints that will change forever the lives of young and old. Just think of the lives you are touching and God is changing as a result; and how you are being blessed as a consequence. It is amazing to think of you as an extention of body of Christ at CrossWay on Mission in Kenya - you like us are literally having great opportunities to "Take a Walk across the Room" and share God's amazing love with such wonderful and needy people. Please remember that you are all in our prayers and constantly in our thoughts as you give yourselves in service each day.
    What a joy to hear that Pastor Ron is being used so powerfully as he teaches other pastors - just make sure that he comes back with you guys!!!
    May God continue to use you and continue to extend His Kingdom as a result of your labor and love in the gospel.

    Iris and Maurice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Team: Just heard that some of you are experiencing health problems and I want to assure you of our prayers - that you may all know God's healing touch at this time. The cost of 'doing mission' often carries a heavy physical and emotional price tag. Please know that we are praying specifically for each of you and that God is with you "real time" always.

    Isaiah 40: 27-31

    Maurice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Team: Glad to hear you are all doing well. Today is Saturday both in Nairobi and Nashua! That means we are all preparing to celebrate Jesus in various ways and different cultures. You will dountless have amazing and life changing experiences as you join with Kenyan brothers and sisters in the worship of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Worship is always reflection of our hearts and the joy that abides in us because of Jesus. Relax go dance with those who dance and remember that we too are rejoicing because of Jesus - perhaps dancing in our spirit is the closest we can manage - but dancing nevertheless! Tomorrow I get to preach 'The Power of Story' as we continue to Take our Walk Across the Room and I'll be talking about - Mae the Maid - Alex the Beggar - The Bulloch at my Door and the Ethiopian who was reading the 'Gideon Scroll' on his way Home ... in the afternoon we visit the Nashua Rescue Mission. What a great thing it is to serve the living God who changes lives around the world.

    We thank God for each of you and pray that your Sunday will be filled with incredible worship and praise because of Jesus.

    Love and Prayers
    Maurice and Iris

    ReplyDelete